Friday, September 08, 2006

Spontaneous Fun at Sam's Club

Some people would not link the words "spontaneous," "fun," and "Sam' Club" together. Oh, they are soooo wrong! I needed to go to Sam's today to pick up a prescription. The idea popped into my head, "Why not pick Emma up and take her with me?" And so I did (spontaneity). When she saw me come into her classroom, she jumped up and ran to give me a hug. I told her we were going to Sam's Club to get some lunch. Emma jumped and screamed for joy (fun). Since she had already eaten a good lunch at school beforehand, I got her a 97 cent cup of ice cream at the food counter (Sam's Club). Can anyone say 7th heaven 3 year old style (more fun)? I enjoyed spending some extra quality time with her while I ate. She is growing up to be such a bright and beautiful little girl. We're going to have some good times ahead. She even helped me pick out my pack of 342,343 sticks of deodorant. What could be more fun than that?

All you doubting Thomas' can all take a moment to rethink all the possible connections between "spontaneity," "fun," and "Sam's Club." It's a big, wild world out there. Don't box yourselves up in such a little cage.

*****************
So, to weaken the spontaneous aspect, I'm thinking of making this a weekly lunch date. Next Friday, the senior staff will be grilling hamburgers and hotdogs to raise money for St. Jude's Hospital. You know that Emma and I will be there with bells on.

*****************
Emma is learning that part of having a good time is having that good time come to an end. She was so upset when I brought her back to school. She was such a good girl, though. She laid right down on her cot (it was naptime). I covered her up and loved her for a few minutes while she gently cried. This part wasn't so much fun for either of us, but it's part of our bond, isn't it?

2 comments:

Trista said...

I love new traditions - Emma will surely love lunch with Mommy!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time for both of you! Some of my fondest memories growing up were when Dad would take a day off in the fall and he and I would spend it together in the mountains or when he would take me to work with him after a dentist appointment. Those memories are treasures!