Monday, March 27, 2006

Climbing Back Up My Slippery Slope

It all started out innocently enough. I ordered broccoli with garlic sauce from a new Chinese place. I have been trying to be VERY good about not eating meat on Fridays. For the past few years I’ve not been so diligent. When I got back to work to eat my lunch, what I actually got was beef with garlic sauce. I was starving and ate it anyway. I’m hoping that I’ll be forgiven. After that, I didn’t drink any extra water at all. In fact, I didn’t even get in my minimum requirement that day. I had no idea that this would lead to a big fall. On Saturday I did okay. I only drank my minimum requirement of water though. I have been drinking a gallon a day. On Sunday I learned that little slips often lead to big slides.

Our weekend was stressful. We were cooped up in the house because of the weather and we were all feeling it. Saturday I had gone back to work to get the rest of that Chinese meal (I tend to forget to bring things home) because I needed to get out of the house and I didn’t want the food to go to waste. Danny would eat it for supper Saturday night. Well, it was too spicy for him and there was quite a bit still left. It was calling to me all Sunday morning. At 11 I could wait no longer. I ate the rest of what was left. It had to have been 12 or more points. That wouldn’t have been bad, but we were meeting Danny’s parents for dinner that night. I wasn’t too concerned because I still have 18 flex points left. Still, I didn’t plan and that was my big mistake. I ate my 11 ounce steak, a baked potato with butter and sour cream and plenty of the fried fish and French fries that Danny’s parents offered me. I didn’t enjoy a bite. Still, with Allison acting up, I was on edge. When I got back home, I ate two three point granola bars and two pudding cups. Again, I didn’t enjoy a bite. I haven’t eaten due to stress in a long time. In fact, that was the first time in almost six weeks that I have. I’ve decided to still be proud of that. Just because I’ve had one bad eating day doesn’t mean that I have to continue on that way. I vowed to not worry about it and start over.

My subconscious must have picked up on my weekend. I had a dream that put me in an Amazing Race type of situation. I had to climb this muddy, slippery 60 foot incline. I never thought I would be able to do it. I worked at it and made it to the top. I was so happy with myself for doing something that I didn’t think that I could do. Later on in that dream I had to help another person up that same incline (incidentally, this person was the father from the show on TLC about little people – I’ve seen that show once – what’s up with that?). I showed him where I slipped up the first time. He and I got to the top faster than I did the first time. I can climb those slippery slopes after I fall down them. I’ll be stronger for it in the end. I’ll also be able to help someone else along the way.

No comments: