Monday, May 15, 2006

From the Mouths of Babes

There is a Taco Bell at the intersection we go through every day to leave daycare. In recent months, Emma has been pointing that out to me on an almost daily basis. The Friday before I left for Las Vegas, I decided to take the kids there to eat. This intersection is also the through way used to get to the local Wal-Mart. It would not be an understatement to say that this intersection is a zoo.

I drove to Taco Bell’s parking lot and got the kids out of the car. As we walked up to the door, I noticed that they do not accept Discover. Since my VISA was stolen, Discover is all that I have. On top of that, I had no cash. I took a second to prepare myself for a huge fight with Emma. I told her that we couldn’t eat there. Much to my surprise, she was not the least bit upset. She likes the pizza place in the strip mall connected to Wal-Mart and asked if we could go there instead. I was very relieved – until I tried to put Allison back into her car seat. Let’s just say it wasn’t going to happen. Despite the fact that the sky could have opened up at any second, I decided it would be easier to walk to the pizza place. Both girls ate well and were well behaved in the restaurant and on the walks back and forth to the car.

While I was in Las Vegas, Danny told Emma that I would pick the girls up from school after I got home. He also said that I would take them to Taco Bell. Much to Danny’s surprise, Emma told him that they weren’t going to Taco Bell “because Mommy doesn’t have the right card.” I have no idea how I explained why we couldn’t eat at Taco Bell that night, but I must have said something about not having the right card. Not much gets past Emma these days.

Luckily I did come back from Vegas with cash (how many people can say that?). We went to Taco Bell the next night. After all the talk about Taco Bell, neither girl would eat their tacos. They ate my pizza instead…

No comments: