Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I've Finally Been Begged to SING!

There is one lone person in this world who actually begs to hear me sing – Ally. We had watched a Wiggles DVD on Sunday morning and for the rest of the day I would bust out in song (“Who’s that in the garden / Eating all our red, red Roses? / It’s Dorothy!”). I couldn’t get that song out of my head. That evening, Ally and I were sitting on the couch and I started singing the Dorothy the Dinosaur song. After a few minutes, Ally said, “Sing.” It took me a second to figure out what she was saying. This was the first time she used that word. So, I started to sing about Dorothy again. I didn’t get very far before she said, “No.” I asked her what she wanted me to sing and she said, “Sun.” Her daycare class has apparently been singing a song that I have learned by watching Barnie. I have no idea what the name of this song is, but here’s how it goes:

”Mr. Sun, sun, Mr. Golden Sun
Please shine down on me.
Oh, Mr. Sun, sun, Mr. Golden Sun
Hiding behind a tree.
These little children are asking you
To please come out so we can play with you.
Oh, Mr. Sun, sun, Mr. Golden Sun
Please shine down on me.”

So I started singing the song. Her face lit up as I sang. She even joined in when I sang “sun” and “please”. She really likes this song. I must have sung it ten times before she wanted to play something else.

Although the tempation is there, I am not letting this sudden interest in my singing go to my head. One person’s opinion out of several billion doesn’t amount to much - even if she is my own daughter. Toddlers are the most discerning critics. Besides, in no time she’ll take after her big sister and beg me to stop singing. I'll enjoy my moments in the "sun" now, though.

1 comment:

Trista said...

Woah-oah, D.-O.-R.-O.-T.H.Y. Dorothy the dinosaur! Romp-bomp-a-chomp!

You can sing me the Sun song too, Jenn. Just don't hate me if I giggle a little. ;)